Put on a broad-brimmed hat that shades your face and neck
A wide-brimmed hat is essential for summer sun protection. Hats that provide shade to the whole face, back of the neck, ears and head are recommended.
Which style of hat provides the best sun protection?
- Broad-brimmed hat - hat with a broad brim of at least 7.5 cm
- Legionnaire-style hat - the side flap and front peak should meet to provide protection to the side of the face
- Bucket or surfie style hat – sits low on the head and has a deep crown. The brim should be at least 6 cm
Choose a hat that:
- covers the top of your head and shades the face, back of neck and ears
- has closely woven material
- is easy to keep on
- is safe and does not obscure vision
- allows air flow and is cool
For more information about hats, see the Sunsmart website.